fbpx

Danger for Toddlers and Teens

Danger For Toddlers and Teens

Ethyl & Isopropyl based commercially available hand sanitiser is being recognised as a danger for toddlers and Teens.

With hand hygiene front and centre during the current pandemic, almost every family now has many individual small bottles or several bulk-size bottles of hand sanitiser sitting on counters, and easily accessible to toddlers and teens.

What is the danger?

Ethyl and Isopropyl based hand sanitisers are meant to be applied topically, not swallowed. But there are growing reports from the National Poison Control Center of unintentional ingestion by toddlers – and intentional ingestion by teens!

Why is Ethyl & Isopropyl based hand sanitiser dangerous to ingest?

It’s dangerous to ingest any household products not intended for human consumption. For most commercially available hand sanitisers, the biggest reason is high Ethyl and Isopropyl alcohol content.

Most commercially available alcohol-based sanitisers typically contain ethyl alcohol or isopropyl alcohol

This is a very high alcohol content, which can lead to alcohol poisoning. To put it into perspective, consuming a 240 ml bottle of alcohol-based hand sanitiser is the equivalent of five shots of hard liquor!

What’s the danger of alcohol-based hand sanitiser for toddlers?

If a toddler ingesting several squirts of an alcohol-based hand sanitiser will make a toddler intoxicated. Too much can lead to vomiting, liver damage, low blood sugar, seizures, coma and death.

What’s the danger of alcohol-based hand sanitiser for teenagers?

Since most commercially available hand sanitisers have a high alcohol content and are cheap, easy to purchase and has no age limit for purchase, it has become a popular choice for teens experimenting with substance abuse. Teens may intentionally ingest large quantities alcohol-based of hand sanitiser to get drunk – which can lead to serious medical outcomes including alcohol poisoning and death.

Which hand sanitisers should my family avoid?

It’s very important to avoid any sanitiser that contains Wood alcohol which is extremely toxic when absorbed through the skin, and life-threatening if ingested! It’s our opinion and belief that all alcohol-based of hand sanitiser should be avoided, especially considering there is a 100% safe, tested and proven alternative available in our ALCOHOL-FREE, plant-based, eco-friendly 3-in-1 hand sanitiser, disinfectant and steriliser! Our sanitiser make use of the WHO recommended base formula and is also NCRS and SABS Approved!

What should I do if I’m concerned my child has consumed an alcohol-based hand?

If you suspected your child has consumed an alcohol-based hand sanitiser you can expect to see symptoms including nausea, vomiting, headaches or blurred vision! If you notice any of these symptoms seek immediate medical treatment.

What’s a safer alternative to alcohol-based hand sanitisers?

Enviromed is an eco-friendly, plant-based and alcohol-free 3-in-1 hand sanitiser, disinfectant and steriliser. That’s been tested and proven to kill 99.9% of bacteria and viruses and is a 100% safe alternative to alcohol-based hand sanitisers.

We invite you to contact us today to learn how our applications can revolutionise your sanitiser needs today!

For more information:

sales@enviromed.co.za | Call or Whatsapp (064) 770 7082 | Shop now!

We would be forever grateful if you leave us a FACEBOOK RECOMMENDATION or GOOGLE REVIEW.

We would love to hear from you. Please mention our handle @enviromedsa

Source: https://www.connecticutchildrens.org/coronavirus/hand-sanitizer-is-a-newly-recognized-covid-19-danger-for-kids-and-teens/

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes:

<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

Open chat
1
Hi there, thanks for visiting us! Is there something we can help you with?